Somewhat duplicate topics

by Andrew Siminszky -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,
Maybe I’m wrong, but I find that “Inefficiency in the spaces of Rolex Learning Center
-> includes lack of study spaces in general.”

and “Capacity of Lecture Rooms” are very similar topics.

Could you add the nearest proposal to “Capacity of Lecture Rooms” that is distinct from the other topics that have already been chosen? (So not necessarily ranked above, but the closest)

Thanks.
In reply to Andrew Siminszky

Re: Somewhat duplicate topics

by Louis-Henri Manuel Jakob Merino -
Hello,

To our understanding, they were distinct because one focuses on lack of study spaces and the other focuses on lack of seats for lecture rooms (e.g., forcing students to not attend lecture and watch lectures). This seems to have different underlying reasons and thus require distinct solutions. However, feel free to present counterarguments.

Kind Regards,
Louis-Henri
In reply to Louis-Henri Manuel Jakob Merino

by Andrew Siminszky -
Wouldn't you agree that both problems are about the lack of room in the EPFL, and although technically different the solutions will end up being similar? To me, similar problems require similar solutions.

Moreover, I think it would be interesting to add a topic that is substantially different to the others. It would give us the opportunity to investigate,learn about and present a wider variety of topics, which I think is more interesting for everyone.

I would say, based on the attached screenshot, that the proposal about recordings is the nearest very distinct proposal since it's not about food,workload,room,housing, or exams, but that's up for debate.
Attachment Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 12.23.49.png
In reply to Andrew Siminszky

by Louis-Henri Manuel Jakob Merino -
Indeed, it seems like Digital Disconnect: The Lack of (Live) Recordings of Most EPFL Lectures would be the next suitable option, which is arguably similar to Capacity of Lecture Rooms. How about:
Capacity of Lecture Rooms
-> Includes "Digital Disconnect: The Lack of (Live) Recording of Most EPFL Lectures
In reply to Louis-Henri Manuel Jakob Merino

by Andrew Siminszky -
Based on the titles the proposals could indeed seem similar but I don't think they're very compatible since the lecture room proposal argues against recordings:

"This is a big problem because maybe people that want to attend lectures are discouraged from attending. They have to watch the videos and stay at home. I think that this is not a good thing for the social part of EPFL. Some people like to be surrounded with people and to talk, make friends and I think that this discourages social interaction. For example if we do not understand a little part in a slide we can ask the professor or our neighbor that will quickly explain what happened so we are not lost during the rest of the lecture".

Also the proposal about the recordings doesn't focus on recordings as a solution to insufficient lecture room capacity (although it does mention it)

I think it's better if they remain seperate