Autumn 2017 Classroom
8h-10h : INM010 (theory)
10h-12h: INF 3 (laboratories)
Extra laboratory session: Wednesday 17h-19h INF 3
Embedded Systems (ES)
- The introductory part present the overall of the course and some recall on VHDL. Some low level element are presented.
- The first section describe a specific microcontroller, this year the MSP430 family, and some programmable interfaces. A simple Microcontroller is studied and its use is emphasized in the course with the help of laboratories. The MSP430, a modern very low power micro-controller is used as practical study case.
- The second section present the design of an embedded system on FPGA. FPGA hardcore and softcore embedded processors are described and used in laboratories. Conception methodology of some programmables interfaces architecture is put in application with practical works in VHDL on FPGA.
- The third section explain the different parts of an embedded system, with standards parallel and serial bus, processor bus (asynchronous, synchronous) common and divergent characteristics. Main goal for this part is the comprehension of programmable interfaces and specifically master unit. LCD and camera controller will be realized as exercises and laboratory.
- The fourth section introduces an ARM9 processor interfaced with the FPGA4U board by a proprietary bus. This 32 bits RISC micro-controller allows to study a more complex embedded processor with more complex programmable interface. The ARM board control the FPGA. The FPGA is used as specific programmable interfaces for specific control. An optional laboratory is proposed as mini-project.
- The fifth and last section will be a mini-project combining the topics studied along the previous sections. As example, this experiment allows the students to be able to design a master programmable interface on FPGA. A LCD display or a camera module is interfaced by a DMA controller on the FPGA, or a RF module is interfaced with the MSP430 and the FPGA can control it. The ARM9 can access the FPGA as a specific accelerator or programmable interface.
At the end of semester, students will be able to design an embedded system based on micro-controller and FPGA. Design parts in VHDL and program it in C.
- Micro-controller and associated programmable interfaces
- Micro-controller and FPGA Embedded Systems conception
- FPGA based Embedded system
- Hardcore/softcore processors
- FPGA embedded processor, i.e. NIOS II
- Memory organization, little/big endian
- Synchronous/asynchronous bus, dynamic bus sizing
- Processors bus
- Design of Specialized Programmable Interfaces as slave and master
- Resume of VHDL bases
- Serial bus
- Basic on graphical screen and CMOS camera
- SOC-FPGA, ARM-A9 - FPGA CycloneV
- 4 laboratories assignments are provided during the semester as reports.
- 3 first laboratories will count as 10% each.
- The last laboratory is a mini-project and will count for 20%. It will include a final demonstration the last week of the course, an oral presentation per group, and the report.
- An oral final exam in January to evaluate the theoretical part of the course.
All the laboratories are counted as 50% of the final grade
The final exam count for 50% of the final grade