This course aims at providing engineering and design guidelines for
selected Photonic Micro- and Nanosystems. In particular, Optical MEMS
and Integrated Photonics will be reviewed. Standard fabrication
processes and related design approaches will be introduced and product
aspects will be discussed.
- Introduction: Course Overview; Review of Relevant Optics,
Fabrication Technologies, MEMS/NEMS Actuation Mechanisms; Fiber vs.
Waveguide vs. Free Space; Integrated Optics Material Systems and
- Micromirrors, Scanners, Projectors, Displays: Reflective
Coatings, Distributed Bragg Reflectors, High Contrast Gratings;
Mechanical and Optical Design Constraints and Tradeoffs; Scanning and
Projection Systems based on Micromirrors; Interference Modulator
Display; MEMS Shutter Display; Design Tradeoffs (Angle, Size, Speed,
Resolvable Spots, Optical Throughput, Power').
- Spatial Light Modulators: Technologies, Performance and
Applications: Liquid crystal, MEMS, Micro Mirrors, Grating light valve
(GLV), Magneto Optic, Quantum Well, Optical Phased Arrays.
- Photonic Switches: Telecommunication Applications, Definition
of Key Performance Figures, 2D Switches, Wavelength Selective Switches,
Optical Cross Connects
- Tunable Lasers: Tuning Mechanisms and Configurations, Design and Performance (Noise, Power, Tuning Range, Linewidth, Response Time, ')
- Microspectrometers, Filters, Sensors: Dispersive Systems, Gratings, FTIR, Fabry Pérot Filters, Resonant Cavity Enhanced Detectors, Sensors.
- Silicon Photonics: Platforms and `Standard' Fabrication
Processes, Waveguide Design, Loss Mechanisms, Grating Couplers, Edge
Couplers, Adiabatic Couplers, Source, Modulator, Detector,
Interferometers, Switches, Polarization Rotators, Combiners, Splitters,
Resonators, Filters; Silicon Photonic Switches.
- Integrated Photonic Systems: Promise of integration; Transceivers and LIDAR-on-Chip example systems.
- Engineering Approaches for Photonic Micro- and Nanosystems: Process
and Design, Fab vs. Fabless, Commercially Available Standard Processes
(MPW, MUMPs, MOSIS, CMOS, Review of MEMS / SiPh Foundries), Design Tool
Examples, Pricing, Scheduling.
- Photonic System Packaging: Assembly Strategies, Interfaces: Optical, Electrical, Thermal, Mechanical, Hermeticity.