Objectives of the course:
To acquire in-depth knowledge of underground space and underground construction technologies, including planning, construction methods,
safety, and environmental considerations.
• Geo-planning and design of underground space: geological considerations and investigations, integrated planning-design process
• Underground construction technologies: conventional and machines tunneling, pipe-jacking, shaft construction, ground improvement and
waterproofing, temporally and permanent supports, instrumentation and monitoring, ventilation, risk assessment, construction management,
• Tunnel maintenance and refurbishment: long-term deterioration and instability, inspection methods, maintenance and repair, tunnel
• Examples of projects: urban underground space and tunnels, mountain tunnels, sub-water tunnels, large rock caverns, tunnel rehabilitation.
Form of exam:
Ex Cathedra presentation and written report of project
- Professor: Federica Sandrone